A list of potential trips I’d be interested in undertaking – some more realistic than others, but that’s not the point of this list.
- Cross the Mozambique Channel from Tanzania or Mozambique to Comoros, Mayotte and Madagascar.
- Circumnavigate Madagascar on bicycle and foot, possibly starting in Toamasina, traveling in counter-clockwise direction.
Probably approx. 4000-5000km.
- Cross Central Africa from Cameroon to Kenya
At least 5000km.
- Cycle along the river Nile, from the Nile Delta at the Mediterranean to somewhere near its source in the Great Lakes region.
Approx. 3700km as the crow flies(!).
- Explore the Skeleton Coast, Namibia
- Cross the Makgadikgadi (salt) Pan, Botswana, on bicycle.
Approx. 100 to 250km, depending on the exact route.
- Cycle around the Eastern Four (Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somaliland, Djibouti) at the Horn of Africa.
At least 3200km.
- Cross south-central Africa from Dar Es Salam, Tanzania, all the way to Namibia, possibly returning on a different route.
About 4000km one way.
- Cycle Western Africa, roughly along the Atlantic coast, from Dakar, Senegal to Libreville, Gabon.
At least 6000km, probably much more.
- Cycle all of the 28 inhabited islands belonging to the Azores (9), Canaries (8), Madeira (2) and Cabo Verde (9).
Approx. 1 to 2 months of traveling.
- Repeat and complete the crossing of the Rann of Kachchh on bicycle.
- Roam around Bangladesh, on bike and boat.
- As an extension of the above, travel along/on the Brahmaputra up to the Indian/Chinese border in the Himalayas.
- Cycle from Tehran, Iran, to Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
- Roam around Central Asia (Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan) on bicycle and/or horseback.
- Hitch-hike around Israel, Palestine, and Jordan.
- Travel the Kolyma Highway (aka Road of Bones) from Yakutsk to Magadan.
- As a variation of the above, cycle the Kolyma Highway from Magadan to Yakutsk and continue to Vladivostok.
A bit more than 5000km.
- As a variation/extension of the above, travel from the Kolyma Highway down the Kolyma river to Chersky, from where there appear to exist overland routes to Anadyr, Provideniya, and/or Uelen, and eventually to the Bering Strait.
- Hike or kayak from Magadan to Okhotsk.
Approx. 400km as the crow flies.
- Cycle across Russia, roughly along the Transsiberian Railway.
More than 8500km.
- Paddle down the river Lena in Siberia.
At least 3500km from Ust-Kud to the delta at the Arctic Ocean, but more is possible if starting closer to the source near Lake Baikal.
- Cross the Bering Strait, either on bicycle when frozen, or by kayak.
Approx. 100km, depending on the exact route, plus getting there.
- Cycle from Budapest through Hungary, Slovakia, Romania, Moldova, Transnistria, Ukraine, Russia, into Georgia.
- As an extension of the above, circumnavigate the Black Sea on bicycle.
[As of 2011] The current political situation in the Caucasus requires counter-clockwise travel around the Black Sea. There is no border crossing between Georgia and Russia or Azerbaijan and Russia that is open for non-CIS citizens. However, crossing from Georgia to Russia is possible through the Georgian break-away region of Abkhazia as entering Abkhazia from Georgia is possible, as is leaving Abkhazia towards Russia. Traveling in the opposite direction doesn’t seem like a good idea. One might run into trouble when trying to enter Georgia from Abkhazia after coming in from Russia.
- Explore the Georgian Caucasus on horseback.
- Repeat and complete the hike to Degree Confluence 42°N, 46°E in Georgia.
- Circumnavigate Iceland on bicycle.
- Hike to Kinnarodden.
- Cycle along the edges of the city of Bremen without crossing into Lower Saxony.
- Zigzag across the Balkans on the bike.
25001800km. Transfer my new kayak from north-east Germany to my place over waterways. Approx. 1 to 2 weeks of paddeling.
- Cross Nagorno-Karabakh on the Janapar trail.
Approx. 14 days of hiking.
- Cycle along the Ural Mountains, roughly from Vorkuta in the north, to Orenburg in the south.
- Repeat and complete the hike along the Côte Oubliée, New Caledonia.
- Cross Australia from Darwin to Adelaide on bicycle.
A tad more than 3000km.